"I will support India, and also my husband"

Sania Mirza, who is marrying Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik, shared this and much more

Surrounded by reporters in her home city Hyderabad, Indian tennis star Sania Mirza was a picture of composure as she talked about her forthcoming marriage to Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik. The news of their match broke late yesterday, and today (March 30) the Indian tennis star held a short press conference to share what she felt about the news that has created a buzz in both India and Pakistan.

"I'm very happy, it's a very happy occasion. The reception will be held on April 15 in Hyderabad, the exact venue hasn't been fixed yet," she said. The valima will be held in Pakistan, she added. Sania and her family will be getting Pakistani visas for this.

Sania, who's 23 years old, revealed that she first met Shoaib about 6-7 years ago, but refused to share when they became romantically involved. "It's too personal," she said, adding that neither she nor Shoaib would be comfortable answering such questions.

She clarified that she will continue to play tennis for India, while Shoaib will play cricket for Pakistan. As to the ongoing political issues between the neighbouring countries, Sania said, "Of course, we're aware of the issues. But we're not making a political statement. We're getting married. We're happy, our families are happy. I've got so many good wishes from people."

Sania also confirmed that the couple would be settling down in Dubai after they're married. "He (Shoaib) is a resident there. Dubai is a great place to live in. I've always said it's like a second home. There are so many Indians and Pakistanis there. I will miss my family but it's just a three hour flight away."

Now that she was marrying a Pakistani cricketer, Sania was asked if she would be supporting India or Pakistan in a cricket match between the two countries. "I will support India. I'll also be supporting my husband but I will support India," she said.

Sania was even asked about having kids, to which she replied with a laugh, "I haven't even gotten married yet, and you're already thinking about my kids! I'm going to be participating in the Olympics in 2012, so there are no plans before that."